Four groups will monitor detainees’ trial on Feb. 3 Sandeep Singh Grewal Staff Reporter

An international human rights group is arriving in the Kingdom to monitor the court hearing of those detained following disturbances last month. “There will be two activists who will monitor the trials of the accused slated on February 3,” Bahrain Youth Society for Human Rights president Mohammed Al Maskati told the Tribune yesterday. The charges against the detainees, include torching a police Jeep and stealing weapon. Nabeel Rajab from the defunct Bahrain Centre for Human Rights said four international rights group had confirmed participation. They are, International Federation of Human Rights, the Observatory for the Protection of Human Rights Defenders and the Human Rights Watch and a group from the European Union. The families of the detainees have protested several times outside the Public Prosecution offices in the Diplomatic Area during the hearing. Now activists plan to demonstrate outside the premises on February 3. “We are inviting public to take part in the protest to show solidarity for the detainees who have complained of ill-treatment by the authorities,” Maskati said. The General Prosecution had said 22 men have been detained. This is the second time, rights group have sought intervention of international organisations. The local groups contacted the Observatory for the Protection of Human Rights Defenders and other organisations and sent an open letter to US President George Bush during his visit in Bahrain to urge the government to release all the detainees. A symposium was held last night in this regard at the National Democratic Action Society in Umm Al Hassam. Victims of alleged torture gave testimonies in the presence of lawyers and families.